Friday, October 15, 2010

IVF #3 The Protocol

Yesterday I received my protocol.  Since I'm a "vet", all I get is a rushed phone call where one of the nurses practices her auctioneer stylings while I take frantic notes. 

I will receive a written protocol in the mail, but here is what I was able to scribble down:

Estimated Period Start  10/27.  (hah, little do they know that my period likes to hide like the snarky bitch she is when I actually want her to appear).
Start Stims 10/28.
225 Follistim Pen
225 Menupur
Low dose of Ganerelix (starting on the first day of stims).
Est Retrieval 11/8

Now, my last IVF was an antagonist cycle so I am familiar with Ganerelix and what it does, but I'm not sure why I would be taking it from the very beginning?  Dr. Google has provided little insight as well.

The nurse also mentioned that I would be taking Prednisone at some point, which Dr. Goggle has lots of information on...lots o scary scary information.  I know most of the scary stuff is in high doses, so I will try my best to just trust in my RE. 

As a reward for reading this clinical and boring post, and upon one of my first readers request (!yay).  Here is a picture of Butters.

5 comments:

  1. Hi - Just found your blog through LFCA. Will be following along and hoping your IVF #3 does the trick. I'm about to do IVF #2 (I hope!) and also have hetero MTHFR but not compound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by my blog. Sorry the post you read was me being a raving lunatic.

    I just wanted to say that my IVFs cycles have been very similar to yours. I also get a high number of immature eggs. Have you considered stimming a day or two longer? I think some of us just need to let our follies grow a bit longer.

    I'm also hetero MTHFR, so I'm taking folgard in addition to prenatals.

    Lastly, I'm taking DHEA on a recommendation by my doc. I think that has actually helped a lot.

    I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Sorry, one last thing. I've also done an antagonist protocol and have never started ganirelix so early on in the cycle. That seems very strange. Wouldn't that be oversuppressive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooz--I'm thinking the same thing. I think I will ask my doc about it. Maybe he doesn't remember me being completely oversuppressed in my first cycle. Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck Teresa! I'm starting my BCPs for IVF #1 next month...I'll be crossing my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete