Thursday, November 25, 2010

Ignorance is Bliss

When I went in for my retrieval 2 weeks ago today, my husband and I were put into a section of "rooms" that were divided by those sheet things.

Next door we could hear another couple who were clearly getting ready for their transfer. It also became clear that they were doing a 5 day transfer.

When the nurse came to visit them, the lady said something along the lines of, "My friend said I should ask about Blasto-sites".

N8 and I just kind of grinned at each other. "Blastocycsts" I whispered. "What a newb, psht". Even though it provided a little comic relief for us, it was also quite sad. Because I really envied this person.

It was her first IVF, she was doing a 5 day transfer, meaning she likely had some great blastocysts to put back. She would likely get pregnant and this experience would have a limited impact on her life. She would likely remain ignorant of so much, including the pain of multiple IVF failures.

I am now prolonging my own ignorance. I no longer want to know about this cycle.
Today I will celebrate Thanksgiving with my family, and I want to continue to remain ignorant as long as I can.

I've never waited until Beta day to find out and I doubt I will this time, but I am now thinking I will test on Saturday. For now, I will bask in this unique bliss of not knowing.

Hope all you and your families have a great Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! There is nothing wrong with putting off knowing. Just enjoy today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're doing the right thing by waiting a few more days (can you please remind me of this comment when I'm your shoes a week from now?). Sometimes ignorance really is bliss, isn't it? I hope you've had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete